Thursday, July 3, 2014

Second Year first Semi Model paper 2014

01. (i) Identify one of the following extracts and comment on the relevance of it to the larger context with
special reference to features like techniques, themes and language.

a) My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
   The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
   Pro patria mori.

OR

b) .. It is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

(ii) Identify one of the following extracts and comment on the relevance of it to the larger context with special reference to features like techniques, themes and language.

c) Do you know, sometimes on still, quiet evenings like this, I almost get a creepy feeling that they will all walk in through that window - " She broke off with a little shudder

OR

d) The incident left a most unpleasant impression upon my mind. The violent and causeless excitement, followed by this brutality of speech, so far removed from his usual suavity, showed me how deep was the disorganization of his mind.

(iii) Identify one of the following extracts and comment on the relevance of it to the larger context with special reference to features like techniques, themes and language.

e) a)      I saw the things that I love in this world. The work and the food and the time to sit and smoke. And I looked at the pen and I thought, what the hell am I grabbing this for? Why am I trying to become what I don’t want to be . . . when all I want is out there, waiting for me the minute I say I know who I am.

OR

f) "When you strike that noble attitude and speak in that thrilling voice, I admire you; but I find it impossible to believe a single word you say."

2. Illustrate the techniques used in The Fisherman Mourned by his Wife by Patrick Fernando.

3. Alfred Lord Tennyson‘s Charge of the light Brigade is a tribute to the soldiers. Do you agree? Discuss with reference from text.

OR

4. Illustrate the metaphysical elements in Jone Donne’s poem The Good Morrow.

5. Illustrate the use of irony in Skai’s short story Open Widow.

Or

6. Write the character sketch of Holmes in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s short story The Dying Detective.

7. Memories and illusions make up a large portion of the play which is a unique narrative technique of Miller. Discuss. 

Or 

8. Shaw rejected romanticism and embraced realism. How realistic is Arms and the Man?

OR 

9. Other than being used for his farcical actions, how does Nicola function in the drama?

10. While Shaw uses many elements of farce, this is still called a "drama of ideas." Discuss Shaw's use of farce to demonstrate some of his ideas.




No comments:

Post a Comment